Pet Assistance Archive
Federal & State Laws
Fair Housing Act
- OAA Resource Directory: searchable tool to find places where to get free pet food (many animal shelters can also provide limited food); low-cost pet sterilization services, and report animal abuse (when in doubt, call your local law enforcement or humane officer).
- Organization pet food donations: Purina has a charitable pet food donation process for 501(c)(3) organizations
- Organization pet food donations: Federal Emergency Management Assistance (FEMA) aid is possible. Ohio organizations must register through Ohio Emergency Management Agency, 2855 W Dublin-Granville Rd, Columbus OH 43235-2206. Office: (614) 889-7150. Fax: (614) 889-7183. If/when FEMA provides assistance, and if pet food is part of the assistance, registered organizations will be on the list to receive.
- Rescue Bank: a program by Greater Good Charities that receives excess/discontinued pet food and related products and distributes it through regional affiliates.
- Keeping Families Together Eviction Response Toolkit: from Human Animal Support Services (HASS), provides animal shelters with tangible ways to support people so they can keep their pets (Winter, 2021).
- Access to Veterinary Care: Barriers, Current Practices, and Public Policy, University of Tennessee, 12/17/2018
- Dogster.com, 02/24/2016, “Let’s Get Behind Programs That Help Low-Income Families Keep Their Pets,” Kezia Willingham
- Sustainable Development Law & Policy: Vol 18, Issue 1, Article 11, “Serving Pets in Poverty: A New Frontier for the Animal Welfare Movement,” Amanda Arrington and Michael Markarian
- Goodbye to a Good Friend: An Exploration of the Rehoming of Cats and Dogs in the US, E. Wiess, S. Gramann, S. SPain & M. Slater, Open Journal of Animal Sciences, 5: 435-456
- Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals Guide
- Animal Care Guidelines for Emergency Co-Sheltering