We strive to make Ohio a place where all animals are protected from cruelty, abuse, and neglect.
We lead and collaborate with teams across Ohio to champion humane policy and coexistence with animals deserving of respect and protection.
An animal compassionate one. We welcome Ohioans looking to turn their compassion into action.
Making a Difference
Fundamental change can be accomplished only through the collaborative efforts of diverse groups who come together to work on innovative solutions.
Systemic change happens when communities learn to enhance the human-animal bond, improve safety, and increase their compassion for animals.
When resources are critical to action and advocacy, it is important to have a source for statewide connections that help Ohio and Ohio animals.
To support struggling families and their pets, we provide valuable resources such as a list of programs designed for seniors and low-income families.
We advocate for at-risk family members and safety planning for their pet(s) because we recognize a link between animal abuse and family violence.
An opportunity exists for a new approach to learning how we can coexist with wildlife and advocate for protective policies at the state and local level.
- 01/06/2021We’re kicking off the year with wonderful news. Governor Dewine signed H.B. 33 into law on Wednesday afternoon, 1/6/21, in a virtual signing ceremony with several other bills. OAA’s Executive Director Vicki Deisner spoke at the event and thanked Representatives Lanese and Carruthers for working tirelessly with the animal welfare community to get this critical legislation passed. We’re grateful for …
- 12/17/2020H.B. 33, which requires reporting of animal abuse by social workers, counselors and veterinarians, passed out of the Senate 31-0 and will next go to the Governor’s desk to be signed – this is fantastic news! Ohio has passed several laws addressing animal abuse in domestic violence situations such as pet protective orders, felony cruelty, and making bestiality a crime. …
- 12/15/2020Help SAVE Ohio Pets provide food for Franklin County families and pets this holiday season in 2 ways: Spread the word about SAVE Ohio Pets pet food drive-through this SUNDAY 12/20/20 @ 12PM-2PM (no contact) Donate dog and cat food to SAVE Ohio Pets – visit https://www.saveohiopets.org
- 12/12/2020We’re thrilled to introduce an evolution of Ohio Animal Advocates. As you know, OAA works hard towards our mission and we’ve made much progress. Among the many milestones, in one short year we’ve: Grown our membership by over 70% Grown our partnerships by over 175% More than tripled our archive of OAA developed statewide resources This growth has paved the …
- 12/10/2020Good news for animal welfare in Ohio as H.B. 33, which requires social workers and veterinarians to report animal abuse, passed out of the Senate Agriculture Committee on 12/9/20. This important animal welfare bill will be heard on the Senate floor next week, so please contact your state senator and ask them to support this bill – now is the …
- 12/05/2020Executive Director, Vicki Deisner, was recently interviewed as part of an article published in the Columbus Dispatch, Proposed Ohio laws aimed at animal and human abuse, by Dean Narciso. The article talks specifically about House Bill 33 (and Senate Bill 205), in a well-written report on the connection between animal abuse and human/domestic abuse. Link to the article >>